Dr Joël Richard is currently Head of Technical & Pharmaceutical Operations at MedinCell (Montpellier, France). He is leading all the pharmaceutical development and non-clinical pharmaco/toxico-kinetic activities of the company, specialized in the development of Long-Acting Injectables. (LAIs), using the proprietary technology BEPO®. Dr Richard has 30 years of experience in chemistry and biopharmaceutical R&D, including several global senior positions in various Biotech and Pharma companies, such as:
- Senior Vice President, Pharmaceutical Development – Peptides in Ipsen (France),
- Vice President, Drug Product Development in Ipsen (France),
- Director, Pharmaceutical Development in Serono and Merck Serono (Italy, Germany),
- Vice President Research, and Europe R&D Director at Ethypharm (France),
- COO at Mainelab (France), a drug delivery company he co-founded, which was specialized in developing solvent-free processes for protein delivery systems.
Since 1996, Dr Richard has focused his research activity on new formulation technologies and drug delivery systems (such as microspheres, nanosystems, gelling systems, chemically-modified proteins, supercritical fluid technology . . .), especially for injectable peptide and protein formulations. Dr Richard has graduated from Ecole Normale Supérieure (Cachan, France). He has got a PhD in Materials Science from University of Paris, France, and the “Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches” degree in Chemistry from University of Bordeaux I. He has published 68 peer-reviewed scientific papers, 8 book chapters and 2 review editorials in various fields (colloids and interfaces, drug delivery systems, supercritical fluids, protein formulations, nanoparticles, . . .). He is the author of more than 140 international communications and 55 patent families.